August 29, 2014

Learn, Honor, Create, Play

Learn, Honor, Create, Play (11x14 dry pastel)


LEARN, HONOR, CREATE, PLAY

Still life paintings need to mean something to me on a very personal level for me to enjoy the process of painting them. This one does. Each piece in this painting represents aspects I think are important in creating a happy and healthy life; Learning, Honoring, Creating and Playing.

It seemed only logical to start with the strong foundation that is required before beginning to build anything. With that in place I added the apple to represent our early stages of learning. 

Next, I placed the lifebowls and it is significant to me that I chose bowls gifted to me by a dear friend to represent the lifebowls. I especially enjoy that they are handmade and not perfectly symmetrical because whose life is?

Balancing one’s lifebowls can be a bit tricky at times.  Mine seemed to stabilized quite nicely once I placed the origami crane smack in the middle of it because, after all, where would we be without honor and loyalty (the traditional meaning of the origami crane)?

With a good foundation (be it family or religion or both), learning underway and loyal friends, creativity has a chance to thrive. Enter the kitty. Having created her from clay (after my own lovely cat), she seemed perfect to represent my idea of creativity for this little play. And, she had the added benefit of exuding relaxation/vacation which I know is part of a good balance in life. 

The mouse is probably quite obvious but after watching my cat for years, I know how important playtime is!

All of this is topped off with a huge, red, apple juicy enough to bite into and it is intended to represent our blessed learning that continues year after year that is so absolutely delicious.

1 comment:

  1. It's so nice to learn why you chose your objects because most still life leaves us wondering. It's really interesting and also of course a wonderful painting too :0)

    ReplyDelete