May 10, 2011

First Lady of Law


The First Lady of Law
Ohio Northern University Class of 1896
(formerly Ohio Normal University)
 30 x 36, oil on canvas

For anyone stopping by, I would like to apologize for my absence. To my new followers, I would like to say "Welcome and thank you for your interest in my art!"

Larry and I made the trip to Ohio for the dedication of my great-grandmother's painting and were treated like royalty by the University.

The painting above was completed from a faded 1896 black and white photo of my great-grandmother. Because the photo originally came from a group photograph, mostly all you could see of Lena was her head and shoulders so what you see in the painting is what I composed as part of the storyline. You are welcome to read more about Lena and the rest of the painting on my website.

For our trip, we flew in (and out of) the St. Louis airport and feel lucky that we got out of there before the tornado hit the airport! Our hearts and prayers certainly go out to those who have felt the loss from all those tornadoes. We are certainly glad to be home and back in to the swing of things. 

I can't believe it's already time to pick up paintings from the Northwest Pastel Show! I would like to share that the "Symphony of Swans" painting was granted the Director's Award and I am very honored. I would also like to thank Kari Tirrell for her amazingly generous comment about my painting. Please be sure to see her wonderful and heartfelt painting that deservedly won Best of Show. Congratulations, Kari!  

4 comments:

  1. Good to see you back! Congratulations!! What an incredible story! And happy you are home safe! Congratulations on the Directors Award! So well deserved! Beautiful painting and post. off to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Sandy! The painting of your Great-Grandmother is as strong and clear as her words on your website. I enjoyed reading what she had to say so much that I read it twice. Sweet!

    Congratulations on receiving the Director's Award. I've been so hit-or-miss lately on our little blogosphere that I had missed your post about your works being accepted into the show. Kudos!

    Thanks for pointing me to Kari's site and work. Wow!

    -Don

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful portrait and tribute to your great grandmother, Sandy. I enjoyed reading her words about the importance of personal liberty. We could sure use more men and women like her today :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dont know how you managed that from a black and white photo-really well done! Many congratulations on your award!

    ReplyDelete