March 11, 2010

Thank you to The Pastel Journal

18 x 24

In her editor's comments of the April 2010 issue (the 11th annual Pastel 100 Competition), Anne Hevener, editor of The Pastel Journal, points out that the magazine regularly receives around 4,000 entries for its international competitions. With that in mind, I really can't tell you how humbling it is to be selected to receive an award with so few slots open (only 20 in the animal/wildlife category). So my very sincere thanks, once again, to The Pastel Journal and the folks behind the curtains and the panel of judges who spend endless hours making these things happen for us artists.

The piece I submitted was inspired by a trip to Skagit Valley, Washington, a place where I often find inspiration for paintings. The swans spend several months there during the winter and show up by the thousands! It is an amazing sight to see them gathered in the fertile fields of the valley. Below is one of the reference photos for my painting.



By the time I was done with the photo-shoot, the sun was starting to set and there was a beautiful warm glow on the birds and that was something I was anxious to capture in the painting. I created a bit more of that drama with the lighting than was actually there (in the photos) and it's having the ability to copy but the courage to create that I (now) find so enjoyable when painting.

Cheers,
Sandy

10 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your well deserved recognition!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well deserved award! Your work is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much, both of you, for your kind comments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your award! Your work is truly stunning. I loved your quote "Having the ability to copy but the courage to create" I feel the same :) And you succeed so wonderfully!

    Smiles,
    Jude

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It´s a great pleasute to see the paintings of your blog! But this one ist absolutly perfect - I love it!!!! Greetings from Luzia.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Luzia,
    That was so kind of you. Many thanks for your comment!

    Judith,
    My apologies for posting your comment twice - I deleted the 2nd posting since it was identical to the first.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations Sandy! I always thought that your previous entries in the pastel journal should have received higher awards than they did. I have been having a bad week, a major setback in my life that has had me on a crying jag for about 5 days, but it made me happy to see your painting get some recognition! You are one of my favorite pastel artists, and I always look forward to seeing more of your work.

    Jennifer ( remember me from YT, you just recently sent me pics of your pastel palette )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jennifer,
    I am sorry to hear you having such a tough time. Perhaps a bit of studio time will be just the thing to help in the healing process.

    I hope the palette picture has helped with your organization project. I know sometimes just getting your hands on the pastels is enough. It doesn't always have to be about the process of painting.

    Thanks so much for your kind comments about my art. I really do appreciate that!

    Kindly, Sandy.

    ReplyDelete